View Single Post

Old 10-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Mini Yamaha MT-10

This will be a retrospective view of my MT-10 build, which I have finally completed. A long time ago, Laughsplace started a thread reporting on his (or her?) plans to build an upscaled (150%) model, and showed the first section completed. I was looking forward to comparing experiences, but sadly we have heard no more since January. When I started this project back in May I held off announcing it, in the hope that Laughsplace would resurrect that thread. As time went on laziness took over, and I never got my own thread started.

As usual I have chosen to construct the model at a scale of 1:14, to match all the rest of my motorcycle models, so started by scaling to 40% of the original, and printing the first few pages on ordinary copier paper.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-01.jpg

I have learnt with the recent Yamaha offerings that the hardest parts to get to fit are the frame and engine, so this is where I start. The frame is very similar to that for the YZF-R1M from 2015, so the experience of making that helped a lot with the new model.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-02.jpg

The engine is not just similar, but virtually identical, to that for the YZF-R1M.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-03.jpg

It had two problems:

First, the cylinders are separate boxes (parts 9-11) stacked together but no account is taken of paper thickness, so the resultant assembly overflows the length of the cylinder head. I shuffled all the bits around in Inkscape to make a single more complex box with an overall wrapper, which fitted a lot better.

Second, the timing cover (parts 75-78) doesn't fit correctly against the end of the cylinder block - it is too tall, and has a tapering section which does not correspond with the sloping part of the block. I did a slightly more sophisticated modification than on the YZF-R1M (hacking off a bit with a sharp knife). The original is on the left, my modification on the right.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-04.jpg

After that, it went together pretty well.

Mini Yamaha MT-10-05.jpg Mini Yamaha MT-10-06.jpg

Happily a dry fit against the frame showed no serious problems, so I could continue...