View Single Post

Old 11-05-2017, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
I would not recommend a phone.

A- if your hands shake, the picture will not be clear.
B- you need a tripod. This way the framing, the flash and timer can all function nicely and it looks better.
C- I would not want to clog up my phone with hundreds of model building pictures
D- Most phones take pictures at high resolution and each file is over 5 MB which is unnecessary for modeling. If you start changing resolutions for your models, you will forget to have it turned back when you need it.
E- simple cameras now a days are less than $50 USD and take an SD card that is easy to remove and slide to the PC SD slot ( unless you have a 15 year old PC as well.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Polaroid-...-Zoom/37700828

F- it makes no difference as to the brand. You can even get a generic store camera and it would be fine for this hobby.

I have always had a dedicated small camera that is set at modest resolution and mounted on a tripod.

Isaac
Your recommendations remind me of a person I once knew who back then bought a phone only because the phone camera had 41MP resolution (a Nokia Lumia 1020).

He was warned by several people (including me) that you never buy a phone because of the camera. You buy a phone because it is a phone and the connectivity it gives you.

You never need a 41 megapixels cameraphone if the only thing you do is to take selfies (which he did 95% of the time). If you need 41Mp for any other reason than just bragging, then just buy a real camera.

He ran into several of the problems you cite. Specially storage and file transfer: iirc, the Lumia 1020 didn't have an SD card, though it had 64Gb internal drive he used to fill with plenty of movies music and full-HD 1080p videos from the camera. But because the selfies and videos were so huge and he kept forgetting to change image resolution or video size, it was quite cumbersome to upload them to his Facebook. Even wireless transfer of files to the PC was a headache.

The phone only lasted a month or two in his hands before he sold it and changed to another one with a much less powerful camera. Another reason for the change was the OS. He viscerally hated Windows Phone, but still bought the Lumia because, you know: 41MP. He had only had Androids and could never understand Windows.

For modelling photography I agree a basic camera is just fine. I sometimes use the phone to give me an idea of the framing and/or lighting. But then I just take the photos with the camera. But not always at the 16MP the camera is capable of. After all, when seeing pictures over the internet, or browsing the forum on the phone or a tablet, or even the PC, image resolution doesn't need to be extremely high.

Herky's phone must have a camera of around 5MP with autofocus and led flash. Which is a quite good option if he doesn't want to buy a new camera yet. But he certainly must be careful with storage space. It can be a headache.