View Single Post

Old 11-16-2017, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

once more back to the Tube bending. The wires I have threaded before, especially since that would be one of the two options in the later installation. But since I for myself was unsure how far I had threaded the wires, I have checked it out.

And as one can see here, the wires actually went beyond the arch,

so they might have been a bit of a bending aid.

But there is also this second option here, which had brought a friend at the Raumcon forum into play at that time.

In this case, only one wire (anode) needs to be threaded into the tube, the other wire (cathode) could be separated and then soldered at both ends with the brass tube and thus use it as a return conductor (GND).

When using brass pipes, of course, there is the risk of sharp edges, which is why you have to debur the separation points at the tube ends carefully or round off, so that the protective varnish of the LED wires stays intact and there is no short circuit is caused.

That I have tried with my thinnest drills, first with a drill Ø 0.3 mm, which did not fit into the opening, but hopefully has served for deburring,

and then with a drill Ø 0.25 mm for cleaning.

Then I have cut my first bent tube to length, also deburred the ends, and then tried to thread in both 0.1mm wires one at a time to test whether or not the bow can be run through.
That was the expected tricky affair, and threading alone was not for the faint of eyes.

In the process, I first have slided the one wire from the long side into the opening and carefully felt my way to the bending so as not to unnecessarily bend the wire out of shape, which worked out well. And after a short standstill it went around the arch and out at the other end.

The second wire then made some more problems and only progressed a few millimeters, then I had to grasp again. But as one can see, it finally came to the fore again at the other end.

Whether the threading would be easier from the short side, I do not know what one could try.

In any case, the soldering on the tube could be avoided this way.
That's it for now, maybe there are still useful tips from this round.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)