View Single Post

Old 12-20-2017, 04:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
My wallet is glad to belong to a paper modeler.

Every now and then I pull out a box of plastic I still have laying around on the shelf. Just for the change. As we speak I am working on a plastic model.
Although I think it is usually very uninspiring to just put glue on two pre-shaped halves and put them together, I now have been hacking and sawing away to completely alter and rebuild this 1/94 Fokker F-27 model into a bizarre AWACS model (see my blog for the progress). I am enjoying myself enormously, it goes better than I could imagine beforehand.
But I am just shocked by how much it has cost me.
The model was from the thrift shop, costing me only 1,50 euros. And I have a big box of leftover styrene stuff for the greeblies and doodads. But the paint and primer already set me back 25 euros. I have to admit I didn't want to use brushes so I did buy rattle cans and I don't have an airbrush so yeah, it could have been cheaper. But this I think is still the best option for just the occasional once-in-a-year quality plastic build...
All in all I think I had to spend 30 somewhat euros on this build. Sandpaper, glue, selfmade decalsheets and some more. It actually is incredibly expensive compared to what you can get for next to nothing in paper modeling.

I unfortunately have to live on a very minimal budget but luckily, I manage well. It's plastic models like this that make me appreciate the ultimate low costs of paper modeling even more.