View Single Post

Old 01-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Those DeAgostini kits are somehow a matter of love or hate.

I don't particularly love them.

They're nice at first look. But when you spend some time watching them carefully, details start to appear.

In my case, when I knew they were releasing the Jaguar E-Type (XKE) I was excited. But after seeing the test shots and the official build threads I found it leaves something to be desired. A better and much cheaper option is the Revell 1:8 plastic model. At least Revell's windows scroll down and up. And even if you buy aftermarket parts for the Revell, it would still be cheaper and better.

Their Douglas DC-3 is also nice at first sight, with the removable roof to see the interior, and the amount of detail.... but there are some really ugly details and badly shaped parts.

The matter with this "part-works" kits (as they're known in the UK) is that they have to provide as much accuracy as possible, while keeping the kit buildable by most of the general public (not necessarily modelers). But most of the times accuracy is sacrificed in favor of ease of build.

Of course, if you wish something to show in your living room for others to admire, they're really impressive. And if you don't mind some mistakes here and there, that's fine.

They're more collector items than models to please a modeller. I somehow doubt serious modellers would be 100% happy with them (unless they use their modelling skills to correct them).

And this Millennium Falcon...

A few months ago I found this guy's blog: DeAgostini Part Work 'Build The Millennium Falcon' Work In Progress Log Page 21
Go to the bottom of the page to read his report, or browse through the previous 20 pages of re-build blog.

He spent so much time and materials modifying it to get it closer to the original prop, that I wonder if it is really worth the time and money.

Of course that man is a serious Star Wars fan, and a rivet counter. He seems to know all the details of all the available Falcon kits out there and how they compare to the movie prop... So he wasn't satisfied with the provided kit.

As for me, I'm still waiting to improve my skills to properly build the Revell Jaguar E-Type. There's more joy in building, painting, and modifying a kit, even if it's plastic, than just screwing pre-painted parts to one another.