View Single Post

Old 01-31-2018, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Back again!

OH MY!
Has it really been 2 months! How time flies when your company cannot retain enough employees! OK-enough whining, George-get to the fun stuff!

I have not had a lot of modeling time, but what I've been able to sneak in has been fun and a bit different from my usual fare.
For Christmas, our Grandson Eli, received a carrying case to store his unbuilt models and store his tools. He also wanted to build a castle; so we down loaded the walls, gates and towers from Mauther's Papermau site and included those in his case. Needless to say, it didn't take him long to start construction on those walls. (Sorry, I don't have pictures of those yet, but I will get some soon!) The next logical build is something for those strong wall to protect.
Again turning to Papermau for some medieval looking buildings (again, pictures will come later) Eli came across another site that had some neat little buildings that would fit right into his walled village.
The site is at inkjetpaperscissors.blogspot.ca ; The models are designed by GrendelsMother64 and has a slightly Viking feel to them. The series is called 'LAKETOWN'. All the models seem designed for role playing games, which is a larger scale than I usually work in.
Some of my builds-1-30-2018-001.jpg Some of my builds-1-30-2018-002.jpg Some of my builds-1-30-2018-003.jpg Some of my builds-1-30-2018-004.jpg
Here are the MEAD HALL and HOUSE #1. The gently bowed roofs of both buildings add a distinctive look to the structures. The ridge boards added a further uniqueness to the models. These were fun buildings for he and I to assemble New Years weekend; just enough challenge with the roof line, but not to complicated. We also added floors and interior braces for stability.

The next set of houses, numbers 3 & 4, (I think), we played around with some different roofing textures and creating some 'clan' ridge boards with several types of animals depicted, both real and mythical.
Some of my builds-1-30-2018-005.jpg Some of my builds-1-30-2018-008.jpg
As you can see, I couldn't resist insetting at least one doorway. What can I say? And, of course, you all knowing how I am, Eli asked me to come up with a design of my own for his growing village.

The house has a medieval look to it. I did two versions, one with stacked stone texture in between the posts and one depicting cordwood and mortar walls.
Some of my builds-1-30-2018-010.jpg Some of my builds-1-31-2018-001.jpg Some of my builds-1-31-2018-002.jpg Some of my builds-1-31-2018-003.jpg Some of my builds-1-31-2018-005.jpg
I kinda' went over board, as is my MO, after the first, simple build. Insetting the doors and windows and adding separate shutters, but what the hay! We were having some fun the past few weekends! All and all, something different for me and I've gotten to spend time with Eli and the other Grand kids. (By the way, one of the Grand Daughters is showing a real interest in cardstock modelling, too!)

That has been what I've been up to so far this new year. Not much time during the week to get any modelling in. The only way we got this much done is thanks to a month of below or at zero temperatures around the ol' Ohio Valley region! Not working in the yard when it's that cold. Nope, no way, not doin' it! (Unless Mama tells me I am).
I've done some preliminary sketches of the next building in the Main Street Block Party and hope to get back to that soon. That is unless Eli comes up with some more ideas!
Everyone have a Great week and get some models done!
George