View Single Post

Old 02-13-2018, 08:55 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Windmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
DC

Having grown up on Long Island and still visit family there, I never realized that there were windmills still standing. I was curious as to where if any still exist. It looks like East Hampton has several still standing and open to the public.

Yes, there is one left on the south fork but most are gone.

There was one off Flander's Rd, near Riverhead, that was a smock mill but it was demolished years ago. A few pics still exist.

The same for the one formerly near Mattituck.

There's the Bee Bee in the Hamptons that's ben preserved [see pic]. A few others, a dozen, are in the Hamptons, still standing. Most were moved there.

Hook Mill was moved to the Hamptons and is a tourist spot [pic 2].

The LI mills were mostly smock type and once ago, much more plentiful...

There was a builder near Mattituck that reproduced the one that had been lost years ago, and used it to promote his business. I don't know where it went but he sold the reproduction. It was a very nice job of recreation.

I photographed it some years ago. If I can find the pics would you like me to share them?
Attached Thumbnails
Tilting At Windmills; With or without the smock...-beebewindmill.jpg   Tilting At Windmills; With or without the smock...-800px-hook_windmill_in_east_hampton.jpg