View Single Post

Old 03-21-2018, 02:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thank you Doug. Your comments are appreciated.

The main aim of my post is to assist people in choosing the right paper stock when printing downloaded kits from a different country.

So, someone in the UK say, wants to print a kit from the US that only has US paper information for the stock to be used. What metric stock should be used?

Likewise, someone in the US wants to print a model that only has metric paper information - again what US stock to use?

This I hope will help in these instances. given that paper thickness is important for modeling. That's the key I have used for the conversions rather than anything else - so as close as an original paper thickness can be used.

My interest stems from the fact that I really struggled initially to find out the correct metric paper to use that was comparable to US stock. This was compounded by the problem of differing paper thickness for similar US paper types.

I then bought a couple of AirDaves excellent kits and we entered into quite a bit of correspondence as to what paper I should be printing on. There was no real conclusion, and plenty of confusion until Dave kindly gave me paper thicknesses which I then measured off against my metric paper stock. From there I had the idea of the tables based on the providing the best possible match based on paper thickness. At that stage, I was also indirectly involved in the paper industry and so managed to get access to samples from all over, as well as their expertise.

If that all makes sense!

-------------------------------------

Incidentally, Japan and other Asian counties use a different metric paper standard, so the conversions I have given will not hold true for these countries. If enough people are interested I am sure I can produce tables for these countries as well - two for both Metric (Europe/UK) and US paper to "Eastern Metric" would be needed.