View Single Post

Old 03-26-2018, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Getting there. Like all modellers, I'm a bit of a scavenger and continually on the lookout for anything that might come in in handy for using on models.
I'm not claiming to be the first to use pencil re-fill leads on a model, but I've not seen anyone else using them so I'll show ya.
The ones here are .07mm dia , but I know there .05 as well and maybe others.
As the photo shows, Christoph goes the two sided approach on the undercarriage legs. I was gonna put a length of paperclip between them, but decided trying to get paper to stick to metal might be a problem so went with the pencil refills. Besides, these are a heck of a lot easier to cut and trim to correct size anyway.
Made the first one ok (see pic) but then totally botched the other. I didn't really want to bother printing off another model, so I just used the bare refill. They're sort of a metallic colour anyway so doesn't look too bad.
By the way these refills also make nifty gun barrels- see other photos. .07 is more like a cannon barrel on 1/100 scale, but .05 looks just the part. Plus no need to paint, and by a stroke of luck, the cut end is darkish in colour so they sorta look hollow.
Should finish this little blighter today.
Attached Thumbnails
Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8034.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8035.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8036.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8037.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8038.jpg