View Single Post

Old 04-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Part 5 Final Photos

50 Denali with plenty of sun.
Flying/Photography Hobbies-50-denali.jpg

51 Denali and Mt Foraker
Flying/Photography Hobbies-51-denali-mt-foraker.jpg

52 Nice view looking North through the saddle between Denali and Mt Foraker-Lots of rocks below
Flying/Photography Hobbies-52-plenty-rocks.jpg

53 Mt Foraker at 12:30
Flying/Photography Hobbies-53-mt-foraker-12-30.jpg

54 Denali South Peak hiding the North Peak
Flying/Photography Hobbies-54-denali-south-peak.jpg

55 Left turn to the South. Time to heed the voices. Mt Foraker
Flying/Photography Hobbies-55-time-head-home-mt-foraker.jpg

56 One last look at Mt Foraker
Flying/Photography Hobbies-56-last-lk-mt-foraker.jpg

57 Good bye Denali. I’ll be back. Still need to photo the North side!
Flying/Photography Hobbies-57-good-bye-denali.jpg

The ride home was cold. With such low oil temp, can’t really pull the throttle and dive for lower altitudes and warmer temps.Setup a shallow decent using 2300-rpm.

At 14,500’ MSL found a very favorable tailwind. Indicating 130 mph, GPS showed 178-182 mph. Decided to level off and use the extra speed to get home fast.Oil temp was staying constant at 110 deg F indicated.

Approx. 20-miles North of Cook Inlet, knew it was time to start descending again. Setup a 500 fpm descent, keeping the engine below redline was a must, didn’t want to cool the engine anymore.

At 10,000 ft outside temp was 25 deg F, this was at mid channel of Cook Inlet, just North of Nikiski, AK where I live. Kenai was showing 34-miles to go.

Oil temp was warming up, decided to take the long way back and flew to the East of Kenai, arriving at Mackey Lakes level at 2500’ MSL. Checking winds, found that the landing would be with an 80-degree x-wind at 9kts. Oh Joy!

Just as I was turning final, the tower asked me to take either the D or E Taxiway, as a Cessna Caravan was simulating an emergency landing. Great, now nervous about the x-wind, have to keep it short. Made the D taxiway after what can only be described as an arrival!Note to self, be sure to check the landing gear when refueling.

Topped the tanks before I left, got a few photos of a DC4 that hauls fuel to the outlying villages. Arriving back at the fuel station, had to add another 18.5 gallons from this flight. Got to parking just in time to see the DC4 make its return landing.

Here is a photo of the DC4 taken just before take-off for this photo flight.
Flying/Photography Hobbies-dc4-rv6-6.jpg

Hope you like seeing the photos!

Best regards,
Mike