View Single Post

Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 57.46 MB
Native American Masks

Hi all
I wanted to share with you an interesting model I completed this evening as it is slightly off the beaten track. As per the pictures below I completed an Eskimo ceremonial face mask form the book:

Cut and Make North American Indian Masks by A.G. Smith and Josie Hazen by Dover. Heres the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/North-America.../dp/0486260887.

There are a couple of other books available on African masks and Japanese masks

As I always learn from others here; I wanted to share a couple of tips;

1. This model is printed with glossy paper. I find it’s hard to work with pencils/pastels to touch up the model as there is no “tooth,” as pastel artists say. So I either spray it matte with a workable fixative or reprint it on a different cardstock. If gloss is desired then it can be resprayed at the end. I'm guessing that the original was matte or satin.

2. This model has no interior framing and doesn’t hang well without it. The mask tends to be floppy and doesn’t hold its shape. . I was trying to think of a way to add flexible lightweight interior framing that could be easily bent to a shape that it would hold. I was rummaging around in the workshop and came across some aluminum flashing sheets (see picture). These are very thin and easily cut with a large regular scissors. I cut strips and glued them to the back of the mask and it was perfect. You could adjust the paper surface and the adjustment would hold. I’m going to try this approach on some other frame-less models like Fiddlers Green models.

3. Some parts, like the nose were hard to form neatly and get into position. I didn't like the result, so I attached the original one and then on top of it, one I printed, like a skin over a substrate. It seems to work well

Hope you find this useful.

Best
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Native American Masks-mask-2.jpg   Native American Masks-eskimo-mask.jpg   Native American Masks-aluminum-flashing-model-use.jpg