View Single Post

Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
(Pirate) ship cannon

As I am planning to do some smaller and larger ships, I thought to warm up and get the creative juices going, I'll start with a ship cannon.

First I made a very rough model, just to get the sizes right. The target is for 28-30mm figures.

Here I have started refining the model a bit. Adding (optional) details like the rings on the gun barrel and fleshing out the wheels. Also I decided to use a toothpick for the barrel axle. The octagonal shape looks ok on the barrel but not on the wheels.

For the next version I made the wood frame a little wider and the barrel a little larger and longer. The references I found cover different shapes but I think this is a good middle version. This time I also fleshed out the wooden frame and even added the metal holding the barrel axle.

On most references I see this little knob at the rear end of the barrel but not sure how to make it in paper. Maybe form it with Fimo? Paper solutions seems too difficult at this size. Have to see if there are model spheres available in wood.

Happy with the shape now, so I can start the texturing.

Chris