View Single Post

Old 06-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1:50 Benach armored tractor

When I saw Pablo Martin's (AgaPablo) instructive build thread A couple of Spanish Civil War weirdos @ 1/72 of this odd looking Republican armored tractor from the Spanish Civil War, I just had to have one for myself.

Designed by Jesus M Lopez Bea in 1/72, the model was not in my favored armor scale (1:50), so I had to resize it. The resolution of the original file is only 96 pixels per inch, so the enlargement required a recolor: The "Viva Rusia" slogan became an undecipherable red blob. All diagonal part outlines became stepped, and the multitudinous rivets lost all sharpness. After a few enjoyable hours of Photoshop work, I was ready to start building.

Before assembly I cut out all the gun ports, framed them with 1/16" basswood strips, and backed them with black card stock for a nice recessed look. I used bead wire for the grab handles on the doors and hatches. I modified the kit's steps, using only the tread portion from the original model coupled with hangers made of 1/2" staples. As designed, the caterpillars had cleats on every other link - I doubled the number, and put a cleat on each track link.

The base is card stock with a redwood texture. The groundwork is made from a kidney shaped piece of .5mm cardboard, detailed with crushed clay kitty litter, static grass, and a bit of hair root plucked from under my deck.

It was a really enjoyable build. I followed Pablo's order of construction to the letter. Even with the enlargement, every part was a perfect fit. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the red over black anarchist flag insignia, though. Most of the images I found online are black over red. I also found some with the diagonal running from top left to bottom right. Maybe it's supposed to be really confusing 'cuz, you know, anarchy and stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-.jpg   1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-b.jpg   1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-c.jpg   1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-d.jpg   1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-e.jpg  

1:50 Benach armored tractor-benach-f.jpg