View Single Post

Old 07-15-2018, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi everyone,

since I now know from two experts that I chase after no phantom, now a next step for the implementation of this wave-like ring structure on model ET.

As I've said already, there are these two discussed possibilities, either by a 3D printing, if Michael Key finally would have time and desire, or by Scratch-building.

Since Michael Key for his 3D model but already should know about what shape and especially what dimensions should have this wavy line, I have now tried to draw a first scetch.

Starting from the Peak-to-Valley width of about 5'' = 127 mm = 0,9 mm (1:144) specified by Vincent Morales , which roughly matches my previous estimates from photos, I have sketched the following profile (1:2), which should show this wavelike foam structure, how I could imagine it.

Considering that the average SOFI thickness on the ET is approx. 1'' (25,4 mm) , I have drawn a profile whose peak height I assumed with about 0,5'', which with approx. 0,1 mm in 1/144 would be very flat.
Now it would be important to find out how large this peak-height actually was at that time in the foam insulation.

Let's see if or how Craig Capdepon or Vincent Morales will comment on that, since they should actually remember it.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)