Thread: Disneyland 2
View Single Post

Old 07-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
Hi Becky, I admire your fantastic work very much. May I bother you with a question that you must have given answer to somewhere in your thread(s). It is what is the scale of your Disneyland models and how do they fit in an N scale railroad system? How much should the downscaling be for the N scale?

BTW, I have no idea what the scale of the models obtainable from The Disney Experience site, would you know?

Papermate

First of all, THANKS!

Generally speaking the layout is built for O gauge trains. That's a bit different than O SCALE trains though. The Lionel General I use is WAY WAY out of scale to even the cars it pulls:

But, it's a toy, not a scale model locomotive. So, since the layout is built to compliment the trains that run on it, scale isn't too important. "Close enough" is good enough.

The DE models aren't built to any specific scale either. Main Street Station looks right with the train but is a bit large compared with the Disney figures on the platform. But they too are toys from a number of sources. The foreground figures by the ticket booths are 1:43, which has been the "traditional size" for American O Gauge figures since the 1950's.

Here on the platform of the Monorail station you can see several different sized figures:

The figure in the brown coat by the column and the man in the blue jacket on the ground level are both 1:43 figures. The 2 figures closest to the Monorail are figures sold by MTH Trains for use inside their scale and semi-scale passenger cars. But next to the fig in the brown coat, they're just children in size even though they represent adults. The kids closest to us with the mouse hats are hot glue figures I made using 1:43 figures as a mold.

Over at Sleeping Beauty Castle, I lined up 4 figures:

From left, they're 1:43, 1:50 and 1:87 HO scale people. Compared with this photo:

The 1:50 scale person is closest to reality, but he's still a bit on the tall side. So, best guess places the castle at roughly 1:54, but without exact measurements it's hard to know for sure.

BUT!

Not all Disney Experience models are proportioned equally! The Mark Twain looks best with those "kid sized" MTH figures on it's decks:

So that model may be 1:64. The locos and cars on Big Thunder Mountain have 1:43 figures riding in their seats:

But I reduced the kit to "four pages per sheet" which should equal a 75% reduction, or 1/4th the original size of the model as created. (The Skyway is the same.)

Robert Nava has said that his models aren't any specific scale and that he sizes them based on ease of assembly. But generally you can reduce Sleeping Beauty Castle, Main Street Station and Space Mountain by 75% and you should have a model that would "look reasonably good" with N Scale trains.

Ray Keim's Haunted Mansions are a bit smaller in scale than MS Station or SBC as-is by the way.