View Single Post

Old 08-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 328.38 MB
Ancient Greek alabastron vase

First of all, I apologise for the model not having a nice printed look. This was designed using pencil and paper. No PC software was involved. I know that's more than a bit old school now but that's how I learned how to do things a long, long time ago. I am trying to learn the modern software approach but it's hard to break old habits.

There are seventeen parts in this prototype model. Seven of them for the round base, ten for the rest. A final version will involve some internal parts to strengthen the shape and perhaps make the gluing in place of the last section a lot easier.

It's made from light scrap paper and so the glue warped it in places. I didn't want to waste good card until I've finalised the design.

After completing the model I used a Sharpie pen to draw on the design.

The model is almost the same size as a real alabastron (given a centimetre either way).

I'm mindful of the fact that a printed version would use quite a bit of ink so I'm still considering ways round that. I do have one idea. I have some paper which is shiny black on one side and matt white on the other. I could draw (eventually print) the parts on the white side, then assemble the vase with the black side outwards. That leaves putting on the vase painting. Those parts could be printed on thin terracotta coloured paper, cut out and glued onto the black paper parts before assembly. However, I may just be over-complicating matters.

I've a lot to think over.

Any opinions on the vase are welcome.

Any experiences on saving ink where the model is mostly black are also welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Ancient Greek alabastron vase-alabastron-p100.jpg