View Single Post

Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello verybody,

there are good news, because the Track Shoes look amazing after the download to 1:160.

Source: arcforums.com (crackerjazz)

But the exciting question is and remains, how these tiny shoes will look in the printed state?

Now my friend Joe should connect the shoes but still together to a set, as can be seen in Simpson 3D Design, because referring to printing it should be more favorable and therefore cheaper than 20 separate parts.

Source: shapeways.com (Simpson 3D Design)

This has also been confirmed to me by Shapeways because the production team only needs to handle a single model instead of 20 separate parts when printing a set with sprues. As a result, planning the models for printing and cleaning/post-processing is cheaper. And although there are more material costs, the labor/handling costs for a set are lower!

Then I was still interested, which arrangement of the shoes in the set would be more favorable for printing, standing upright as in Simpson's set, or if the shoes would lie flat?

And the answer to that was very interesting and extremely important.

Although the position for Shapeways doesn't really matter, it's favorable to keep the parts flat and as close as possible (smaller footprint).

If one keeps them flat (rather than stacking on top) it will reduce the amount of wax required to print in Fine Detail Plastic (so less support material sticking to the set), which is very important for subsequent cleaning the sets, if I remember the pull-ups at my FUD-IT ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)