View Single Post

Old 08-15-2018, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello friends,

meanwhile we are one step further, but unfortunately still not at the finish because the shoes are still pinching a bit.

My friend Joe has now inserted the supports into his 3D-Model, which corresponds to the configuration of Simpson 3D Design, but has in my view not selected the most favorable arrangement of his model (see below), which I had actually recommended him after consultation with SW.

Source: arcforums.com (crackerjazz)

At first he had uploaded the upper version with upright standing 20 shoes, for whatever reason, whose price (10,80 €) but seemed suspicious to me, especially since from Simpson 3D Design the set of 20 (1:144) for 7,81 € is offered.

And the result is now the lower variant, which would be acceptable in terms of price (7,61 €), but does not seem to be the preferred direction for minimal support wax residues, if I did understand SW correctly.
But just that would be strived for the Ultrasonic cleaning of the FUD shoes, which I still well enough know from my FUD-IT know.

But, as I've heard from others, SW is principally indifferent to this aspect because they print the models (against better conscience) as they are uploaded by the designer, as the customer ultimately pays for it, which is why I'm going to grill SW once again because of the preferred variant.

Regarding the prices, I was surprised that the even finer version Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic, formerly FXD if I'm not mistaken, is only marginally more expensive (7,78 €)!!!

Unfortunately I only have a comparison between FUD (left) and FXD (right) based on my ASTC Rings, which do not have as small details as the Track Shoes, as one can see here,

which is why I'm not sure if FXD would actually make a noticeable difference in the details of the shoes? If so, I would prefer FXD for these little shoes (14,3 mm x 2,5 mm).

Therefore I made my friend Joe still aware once agian and asked him to turn the middle arrangement 90° and put the shoes flat on the running surfaces as this in my view should be the most favorable arrangement of the model, if I understood SW correctly, so that during printing (FUD/FXD) as little as possible wax residues remain.

Now I'm curious what will come out ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)