View Single Post

Old 08-29-2018, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Main walls

Thanks guys for checking in and your interest is much appreciated!

The build starts with the ground plate, clearly showing the actual church layout and where the smaller buildings have to be added. The main ship and side aisles have the form of a cross, although not exactly a crucifix, which was as far as I know customary for a church or cathedral built in those days.

I glued the ground plate on the cardboard supplied with the model and to avoid twisting of the plate later on it I intend to put weights on each corner during the entire build when gluing the various parts on to it.

Then the main walls of the church are erected, each to be completed with stained glass windows and/or doors. Cutting out the window openings, to fold the tabs backwards and gluing them to the inside of each wall, followed by gluing the window itself yields in a nice result but is a time consuming process, especially the cutting of the many, many windows. The door parts of the west side entrance need to be corrected somewhat for a proper fit.

After gluing the walls, I reinforced them on the inside as much as possible with cereal box quality cardboard, approximately 0.5mm thick. This will provide better grip when gluing other parts against the walls later on and is better for overall stability of the model.

Years ago I built St-Basil’s cathedral in Moscow by the same publisher and reinforcing/laminating of the inside parts proved to be very valuable. Hence my advice is to not cut back on applying such simple albeit eventually invisible enhancement.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7514.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7515.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7516.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7517.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7518.jpg  

1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7519.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7523.jpg   1:300 St-Bavo Church, Haarlem, The Netherlands-img_7527.jpg