View Single Post

Old 09-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Kevin and Wayne -

Glad you liked the images (and sorry to have dislocated you in California, rather than in your new home in Arizona, Wayne).

When we first came to Carlisle 28 years ago, these same locomotives were passing through, but in Conrail blue and white. Although I now have a proprietary fondness for NS, when the Conrail break up came, I was initially disappointed that the old Pennsylvania Railroad Shippensburg Division (which includes Carlisle) was not acquired by CSX, since that is the successor to my home-town beloved Baltimore & Ohio.

However, CSX got the old Western Maryland Hanover subdivision that includes Gettysburg, about 30 miles south of here, and a place I visit often, so I get to see SD 50-3s in the CSX blue-gray-yellow livery that is vaguely reminiscent of that of the dear departed B&O.

The SR trackage through Carlisle runs right past the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center and the Army War College, and right through the center of Carlisle and the Dickinson College campus, all the places I usually hang out (I took these images from in front of Leo's Ice Cream shop, where I was enjoying a vanilla cone and reading after a class at Dickinson). It also runs through some very pretty farmland at the base of the South Mountain ridgeline, another area that I pass through often.

So I may post a few more images in the future (on a brighter, sunnier day, it is hoped) and might even capture some of those CSX SD50-3s).

Don