View Single Post

Old 09-28-2018, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Polish vintage glider IS-B Komar rescaled to 1/48

Lately, I have been looking at a few of the Polish vintage gliders mentioned in this thread, available mostly from GPM. Also, I have tried out modeling in 1/48 scale, which is way out of my comfort zone. For those of you being well aquainted to this scale, I believe it would be like modeling in 1/100 - at least that’s what it feels like for my fingers used to 1/16 scale.

Here’s my very first attempt - the vintage glider IS-B ”Komar” (meaning ”mosquito” or even ”gnat”, which indicates a very insignificant creation indeed).

Those already familiar with the original GPM model will immediately see that I recolored the model to my own liking, at the same time reducing it from the original 1/33 scale to 1/48 scale.

As you may have noticed, I also added a rather voluptuous female pilot, one of at batch of 50 or so plastic figures in seated position, which I got for a few dollars worth from Ebay (delivered within days by airmail all the way from Schezuen, China, no freight cost at all charged!).

She was one of the few figures in the entire batch who were able to worm her way into the constrained glider cockpit. Next time I will take care to dress her colleague pilots a bit more decorously; matt grey paint over the pink dress originally provided will do the trick, I’m sure.

The design of this model is most interesting, since it doesn’t require any parts at all to be doubled with thick card. All spars and formers are built up from the same paper thickness as the skin parts. This was one of the reasons I wanted to try it out. I will show the design in a later post, and also discuss the simple recoloring technique I used.

As for a build report, alas, I did not believe I could finish the model to a state worth showing, so I did not make any photos. However, those interested will find ample illustrations in Ostojas build report on this site of the full 1/33 scale original version of the GPM Komar.

The above view of my new small portable building tray is the best I can do for now. That, plus a lamp with a great big magnifying glass, is what I have been bringing to the TV sofa lately.

Kind regards for now, Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Sailplanes available?-komar-outside.jpg   Sailplanes available?-b-komar-cover.jpg   Sailplanes available?-worktray-komar-2.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 09-28-2018 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Exchanged one image which was too large