View Single Post

Old 10-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
The Orlik gets its wings

Thank you both for the good tip about using pencils for edge-coloring! I will be sure to try that out

Now for the winging of the Orlik:

The gull-shaped wings I greatly feared. It was only Ostoja’s good experience of them, that made me slightly less anxious. (See this post in Ostoja’s build thread, and a few following.)

The first step was adding a kind of support for the covering parts. This seems like a very good method to me; the inner paper sheets help form and support the outer skins. In front, the pre-shaped wing parts, which have a slit in the bottom section going all the way from the leading edge, open at the trailing edge. (Stupid of me, not to have made a photo of that critical part of the design.)

The first dryfitting of the wing parts was trying to bend them into shape over the spars. As they seemed to fit very well, I ended up closing each wing section, applying glue only on the trailing edges and tips.

Dryfitting again, it seemed entirely possible to just shove the closed wing parts over the spars, applying glue only to the fuselage end, and the slit in the bottom part.

After a bit of nervous juggling while the glue dried up, the wing sections really went on quite well, as for Ostoja. The slit at the bottom closed up very well. Surpsrisingly enough, shoving the closed sections on was possible, in spite of the gull-shaped structure.

As you may be able to see, I did add all small parts such as elevator and rudder horns. No rudder wires, though! I will have to think further how to add such wires at this scale, without making them too clumsy.

On the fuselage bottom, the landing skid, tail skid, and tow hook as been added as well. And from a more decent distance, the Orlik doesn’t look too bad. I’m in a better mood today. Only the canopy missing now! As you can see, the parts already lie awaiting below the Orlik - in several copies...

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Sailplanes available?-4-wing-spars-top-bottom-.jpg   Sailplanes available?-5-wing-skins-.jpg