View Single Post

Old 10-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Now to mount the bird on the base and make the claws.

Picture 1
– The finished body, with the neck attached and awaiting the head.

Picture 2 – I next attached the head. Easier at this stage as without the base the body is easier to manipulate.

I had to fiddle a bit to get the head on – the neck needed shaping to match the “teardrop” cross section of the head (see Picture 8 in the post on making the head). I also found it a little tight, so rather then force anything I cut 6 small slits in the neck to give it a little inward compression. The slits are not visible on the finished model as they are largely hidden inside after the head goes on.

Picture 3 – The bird was next mounted on the base. The position is exactly on the marks indicated on the base for the feet. The tail should just clear the ground – see Picture 3 again.

I used white PVA glue (my normal glue for paper models) and held the part together for a couple of minutes. I then put a couple of pieces of folded scrap paper under the tail to support the bird while the legs dried to the base. This was then left overnight and reinforced with some more PVA glue first thing in the morning.

Next step was to get the claws made.

Picture 4 – This shows the 4 parts cut out. They should be preshaped as shown – I used a part of a skewer to help me do this.

Picture 5 - I then painted the insides with watercolour where I thought they may be visible if viewed at an acute angle. This step can quite happily be missed if you want.

Picture 6 – The two front claws are first to go on. Dry fit until you are happy. The hind claw should cover the joint, so dry fit a hind claw as well to help you work out how high you should mount the front claw on the leg. Glue the two front claws on.

Picture 7 – The two hind claws are then glued on. Again follow the instructions provided and all should go well. Before attaching the hind claws ensure that the two tabs shown here are bent right back.

To attach a claw dab some glue around the leg and on the hind toe. Do NOT glue on the two small tabs in Picture 7.

Then wrap the claw around the leg, joining the rear claw together. To help align the two halves of the claw, start joining at the tip of the claw and then push the two parts together working towards the ankle. Then slide the part down until the tips pf the two claws in the front and the rear claw, all touch the base. Then firm up around the ankle and let the part dry.

Picture 8 – This shows the completed claws.

Picture 9 - One thing I did notice is while the bird is steady enough as is, it does with the crest have a large side profile and could quite easily get blow over if left in the open. So, I took a few coins and stuck these in the bottom using the hole.

Nearly done!

Just the feet to dry and then I will haul out the watercolours again so I can touch up the odd edges on the head, crest, claws, legs, and parts of the body and wings.

Then a final protective spray of varnish to seal and protect the watercolour, and I will snap a few pictures of the finished item.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-m1.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-m2.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-m3.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-m4.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-m5.jpg  

Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-m6.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-m7a.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-m7.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-m9.jpg