View Single Post

Old 10-20-2018, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Skinning the 1-48 scale Gil

I pondered a lot on how to get the main fuselage skin on in the right position to accept the double wing spars (incidentally, that is a nice design, much like the original aircraft). The solution was to stick two false spars (without glueing them in place) through the cut-outs in the skin, and then just spot-glue this main skin part at the top, false spars loosely inserted.

As long as these false spars are kept aligned, and placed within their proper place in the framework, everything will be alright.

According to the instructions, the tail section should be glued on to the main cockpit part before completing the rest of the fuselage skinning:

Next step was to glue the rest of the main skin section in place on to the formers (done on the photo above). Then only a few more parts to add to the fuselage:

Here the nose section, and the fairing below the tail has been added, as well as the stabilizers. Time for a protective and stabilizing layer of varnish.

The skinning took two work days, and then some. I spent a lot of time thinking about in which order things were supposed to be done. In waiting now, the wings.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Sailplanes available?-04-first-skin-spotglued.jpg   Sailplanes available?-05-tail-.jpg   Sailplanes available?-06-fuse-skins-.jpg