View Single Post

Old 10-21-2018, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
1/24 stage 3 "outer parts"

Dear all

I am now turning my attention to finishing off stage 3. So this means attaching the "outer" parts to the stage.

As a main "source" of what the possible outer parts are I am using the "Apollo Maniacs" site and in particular for stage 3 this page

https://www.apollomaniacs.com/apollo/sv_s4be.htm

The downloaded model has the following parts

Systems tunnel: parts 39 to 43
Auxiliary tunnel: part 44
Auxiliary propulsion system (x2): parts 37 to 38

Parts 45 to 49 make, I think, LH2 line feed fairing.

This leaves parts 50 to 52. Now I think this makes an ullage rocket motor. However I have a couple of problems. If this is so then I think there should be two of these and second is I cannot see for the life of me how to put these three parts together. The thing I am trying to get it to look like is as on this video at 40:59

Am I missing something?

Anyway I have been thinking/testing what is the best way to attach the "outer"parts on the model and have finally settled on the idea of (if possible) using magnetic paper on the part and ferrous paper on the rocket where it attaches to.

So the first piece to try is the auxiliary tunnel

Here it is cut out and then folded

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12919.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12920.jpg

Then cut and attached the magnet paper to the "joining" side of the part

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12921.jpg

And finally glue the part together

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12922.jpg

So far so good, though some of the parts on stage one are a huge length so working my way "down" the rocket leaving the biggest bits to last.

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 10-21-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling corrections