View Single Post

Old 10-21-2018, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Murph's RV-6 Model Build Continued

For my build threads I like to complete the model, taking photos along the way. So, yes, this model is finished. In the past I would start a build thread and then if things changed or lost interest never finished the models. Now it is easier to finish and add comments/photos as things progress.

More construction photos:

21st photo-Wing spar added to fuselage, tail-feathers in place-just glue and hold them in position. This photo also shows the tools used for construction and cutting.
The embosser is used for scoring fold lines, sometimes called a stylist , hobby knife and a quilting plastic ruler is used-it has a thick edge that helps guide the knife when cutting, helps to keep the cut vertical and not slanted.
Added anti-slip matt to the back of the ruler so it doesn't move around when using as a guide for scoring or cutting.
Also shown is the Monoject dentist tool used for gluing. Bought several on ebay for cheap-dentist's use them for flushing with water. Plastic nozzle is bent and is an easy way to apply glue, control is outstanding: want lots of glue apply pressure, just a little? back off the pressure on the plunger:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0076.jpg

22nd photo - Belly photo of fuselage:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0081.jpg

23rd photo-Closeup of the embosser I use for scoring, notice has two different sized balls on either end. You can also see the anti-slip matt under the small orange triangle straight edge used for cutting/scoring, it was attached using 3M super 77 spray adhesive-works great doesn't move around when cutting.:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0088.jpg

24th photo-time to turn some flat tires into round ones! Note photo shows one completed wheel/tire-while you can see what it looked like before the cutting forming process:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0090.jpg

25th photo shows- Tire pre-rolled and ready for gluing. These go together quick and easy, part fit is outstanding! I did edge color the tires, but not the rest of the model. At issue; let a neighbor kid have my color markers, forgot to buy more...You can see how the wood dowel was used to wrap the tire for pre-forming:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0092.jpg

26th photo-Tried to show the edge coloring-can you see on the right side it is black except for the part that turns towards the tire tread piece? Didn't turn out as well as I had hoped:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0094.jpg

27th photo -Tire almost done, final glue added just before folding over and holding in place:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0098.jpg

28th photo-just happens to be the 100th I took during this build sequence; cutting out the wheel pants and landing gear parts, small items and decided to wait until they were needed so they wouldn't get lost:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0100.jpg

29th photo-Wheel pant with tabs and pieces scored for folding-then bent ready for glue:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0109.jpg

30th photo shows use of the embosser to score the fold lines, makes it easy to fold the tabs for gluing-big help during construction:
Murph's Models Vans RV-6 Build-pict0113.jpg

More photos on the next posting. Once again the part fit was outstanding for everything so far!

More photos soon,
Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 10-21-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: not done with photos