View Single Post

Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Before I describe the next two buildings, just a note or two about a website I have mentioned before:

Carrera4Fun.de - Die Webseite für den Carrera UNI 132 und Slotcar Fan

This German site is the motherlode for free, 1/32 scale slot car buildings. Many of the available structures are modern, computer-designed models of actual, vintage buildings and that’s just what I needed for my 1960s layout. Unfortunately, there is no English translation on the site, but that can be worked around with the help of Google Translate. I have always found the site to be difficult to navigate, but if you keep at it, its contents will slowly be revealed. Even if you’re not trying to fill out a slot car layout, there are plenty of interesting buildings that could serve many other purposes. Definitely worth the effort.

First up is the small garage, or as it’s otherwise known, Boxe No. 610. It was originally issued by Carrera as, according to the website, a screen-printed, plastic model. The various plastic parts were scanned and used as the basis for the resulting paper model. As I remember, I enlarged the model a bit before I printed it out. Simple to build, the colorful garage has the true 1960s look I was going for. The Porsche sign on the roof and the logo on the wall are my own addition. The Ninco Porsche 356 has been under repair for years, and has taken up permanent residence inside the bay.

The second build is the huge Märklin Sprint Race Control Tower and Crosswalk. In England and America, the vintage plastic model was branded as Scalextric, and that is how I have always known it. Originally emblazoned with the word Dunlop on the tower’s side, the carrera4fun model repeats this design. I wanted something a bit different, so I substituted the name of another tire manufacturer, Avon, in its place. I’ve always liked the jaunty Avon logo.

Designed to span four lanes of the more slender Scalextric track, I set my model askew over the two lanes of my wider Carrera track. The model is so large that I placed it at the furthest reaches of my layout. If it were up front, it would block the view of the rest of the track.

All the paper parts are backed with mat board to give the model some much-needed strength. Also, I designed my model so that it can be taken apart. The two towers can be pulled away from the crosswalk making the model easier to move for cleaning. The scratchbuilt flags atop the crosswalk were all taken from the internet and are flying from aluminum flagpoles.

Originals of this plastic model are hard to find in good condition, and expensive when you do find one. This large carrera4fun model adds a lot of personality to my layout, at minimum cost.

All for now.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Slot Car Buildings-img_1634.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1809.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1811.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1813.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1815.jpg  

Slot Car Buildings-img_1606.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1895.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1891.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1885.jpg   Slot Car Buildings-img_1893.jpg