View Single Post

Old 12-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Getting side tracked

Dear all

The the arrival of the model astronauts I got a little side tracked thinking about the bits of the model they would have inhabited.

It had always bugged me that I had glued the commanders window in at the wrong orientation in the boost protection cover. So the other day I hacked it out and put a new on in correctly

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13065.jpg

I feel much happier now but I doubt if anyone would have ever noticed.

Next I got to thinking about the LM. From an earlier post you will see that I have already built the LM that comes as part of this model. However it is in "landing" configuration. So its legs are splayed out. I kept thinking it would be nice to be able to have it as it was inside the SLA , with its legs folded in (as shown by this NASA diagram)

I looked at trying to adapt the model so the legs could fold in and out but could not manage it. So in the end I decided to make a second fixed "in flight" LM.

There were only three changes to make to the model as supplied. So I made the base

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13059.jpg

So the first change was I adapted the legs by cutting them so they could fold in and then shortening some cross struts to hold them in place

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13060.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13061.jpg

Here is what an adapted leg looks like

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13062.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13063.jpg

Because the feet of the LM will be folded in I thought it best to be able to separate the ascent and decent stages for storage reasons. So the second change was to join these two parts with magnetic paper

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13066.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13068.jpg

The third change was to glue the LM's feet at an angle

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13067.jpg

So here are some views of the finished LM along with SLA

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13070.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13071.jpg

Since the ascent stage is detachable I thought I would do one photo with the astronauts

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13072.jpg

Think this picture shows just how small the "living area" of the LM was. It is pretty amazing to think this tiny little box rose from the moon a quarter of a million miles from earth and kept the two people inside it alive

Regards

Kevin