View Single Post

Old 12-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
After 10 months, the STS-67 is finally done, complete with GAS (Get Away Special) canisters and EDO (Extended Duration). In the stowed position, WUPPE and the OSP is on the bottom. All 5 trunnions should mate with their respective retention devices. I am guessing from the hydraulic cylinders, the retention devices slide forwards to lock the trunnions. Like I said, I am guessing because I could not find any information on the internet. The Ku band antenna and dish should be rotated inward so it doesn’t stick out preventing the cargo bay doors from closing.

In the deployed or elevated position along the X-axis (fore-aft), the ISP can ‘roll’ on the Y-axis so that any of the 3 telescopes can seen from the crew module (see attached photos). The ISP can also tilt to the left or right of the cargo bay center line (Z-axis, see attached photos). In the deployed position the Ku band antenna will swing out and the dish can face any direction. Most photos showing the Ku band antenna deployed were taken from the ISS (International Space Station) when the Ku band antenna was facing forward to function as a radar for docking purposes. Because STS-35 and STS-67 did not take selfies with the Canadarm, I am guessing the antenna dish was facing the nearest TDRS (tracking and data relay) satellite in order to relay data back to earth.

If anyone is planning to use this model for other space shuttle missions, the ISP was also used on STS-35 and STS-51F but on the latter mission the ISP gimbal stand was installed so the STS-51F infrared telescope (IRT) folded down toward the crew module whereas the UV telescopes folded down toward the tail. The UV telescopes (WUPPE, HUT, UIT) also flew on STS-35. STS-35 had 4 electrical support boxes on the forward end of the pallet where was STS-67 only had 3. I am guessing the 4th electrical support box was for the BBXRT telescope which was not flown on STS-67. I don’t know what other equipment was installed on the pallet to support the STS-51F IRT telescope other than the retention devices was a simpler design from STS-35 and STS-67 because the solar telescope only 3 trunnions.

As a way of giving back to the paper modeling community, I will posting all of the instructions and patterns to the download section. If anyone finds any errors, let me know and I will post revisions.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-53-stowed-gas-edo.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-54-deployed.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-sts-67_10.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-ips-irs-osp-sts-35_astro-1.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-wuppe-3.7m-len-x-79-cm-dia-sts-35.jpg  

STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-uit-attach-points-sts-35.jpg