Thread: Off on holiday!
View Single Post

Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
John, Wales is the only place we have not done. Hopefully, one day - trains for me are the draw card, as well as more history!

---------------

Stayed in Port Ellen - the distillery there, however, was shut down in 1983, with the still and many of the buildings being destroyed at the time - why no one seems to understand. Diageo who was responsible for this, have now said they will reopen the distillery in 2020 and they are busy now trying to rebuild everything as it was and recreate the stills! When we were there, key staff for the distillery had just been appointed from within the Diageo Group.

The distillery has a very big malting - this has remained functional (as part of a closure agreement) as it also supplies all the malt to all the other distilleries on Islay and Jura. It is a very distinctive (and ugly) building and is the most visible feature in Port Ellen.

--------------

Vermin King - on this trip we saw little of the town. Straight through. On a previous trip, we had a good walkabout. I remember taking a couple of Shakespeare's house - but not around the back. I will hunt out the photos for you.