Thread: beginner
View Single Post

Old 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Hi Charlie,

I’ve been looking at the GPM Bismarck 182 model after reading your post. I agree with Olo that this model is very challenging to a beginner paper modeler. You might want to try some easier projects to learn the techniques specific to the medium of paper. We have plenty of free downloads here, and there are many other sites with free downloads as well.

OTOH, the finished product will be magnificent. If you truly have fallen in love with this particular model, I’d suggest starting with some of the subassemblies. The lifeboats would be fun and give you some immediate finished mini-projects. The little floatplanes would be good to try next. They are very small at 1:200 scale, so be prepared for very fine detail work!

With GPM and many other publishers, the drawings ARE most of the instructions. There might be English instructions, but they will not be very detailed. The publishers sell their models all over the world, so diagrams are more universally understandable than written instructions.

At the beginning of the step-by-step instructions, there will be a short table with the special symbols used by that model. If your instructions are only in Polish, Google Translate (or any translator program) is your friend. Pro tip: Use an online Polish keyboard first to get the special characters, then copy & paste. For example, in the GPM model I am working on, the instruction:

“części oznaczone gwiazdką - podkleić na tekturę 0.5 mm”

means “Parts marked with a star - glue on 0.5 mm thick cardboard.”

We’re a beginner-friendly group here. Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish.

Anne