View Single Post

Old 02-09-2019, 02:32 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
03 – Hull Frame

Thanks Nando. I am still learning sketchup and I use it primarily in 2-Dimension mode.

With the upper hull frame finished, I went to work with the camera getting some bow and stern views to show. She appears to be straight, with no problems to report. So images 19 and 20 show the first transverse hull plates (card) being installed. This will be the first layer. The second layer will be smaller plates (paper) installed parallel to the keel.

I borrowed a nice photo from the website “Navsource” showing the construction of the launching ways for Connecticut, at the Navy Yard in New York. Even at this distance, a lot of excellent detail can be seen in the two battleships in the background: Navsource identifies them as Kearsarge (BB-5) to the right, and Maine (BB-10) to the left. Note: the “buff” paint on the forward upper hull of Maine causes me to be suspicious. It looks the way cruisers such as Brooklyn were painted. So I am not convinced that ship is the U.S.S. Maine (BB-10).

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-014-hull-frame-starboard-bow.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-015-hull-frame-starboard-bow.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-016-hull-frame-starboard-bow.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-017-hull-frame-port-bow.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-018-hull-frame-starboard-stern.jpg  

U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-019-hull-plating.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-020-hull-plating.jpg   U.S.S. Connecticut  - 1/250 Scratch Build-021-navy-yard-new-york.jpg