View Single Post

Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding work, slimm.

Brynski: I wonder if your Dad was aboard when Victorious served in the South Pacific in 1943?

I teach a course at the U.S. Army War College on the Strategy of the Pacific War 1941-1945. Victorious features in one of the slides I use for one of my briefings. This is the text of the slide: "After the naval battles around Guadalcanal, the U.S. Navy had only one aircraft carrier, USS Saratoga, available for operations in the Pacific. In December 1942, the British Royal Navy loaned HMS Victorious for operations in the South Pacific. Saratoga (left) and Victorious (right) are shown here at the South Pacific fleet anchorage at Noumea, New Caledonia, preparing to support the amphibious invasion of New Georgia in the Solomon Islands."

The image is below. More info on Victorious's stint with the U.S. Pacific Fleet:
Reports — Armoured Aircraft Carriers (detailed narrative and a lot of images)
Access Denied (This link should work in spite of the "access denied.")

This is the image on the slide (source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...oumea_1943.jpg):
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Victorious, Halinski, 1:400-victorious_uss_saratoga_noumea_new_caledonia_1943_b-w.jpg