View Single Post

Old 02-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
PART 2

Picture 1 – Basically the load is made first – I left four tabs on the sides when I cut it out to help me in glueing it together.

To ensure it was 100% square, I inserted a small steel engineers square inside when forming the corners.

The body of the coal wagon then fits around the load.

The printed coal load is quite acceptable at this scale, but I decide to provide more coal on the form of a “3D” load. To get the coal load I cut a piece of 30 grit carborundum paper to size and then dry fitted the body around the insert and this. In Picture 3, the 30 grit paper is shown at the bottom.

I also found that with the addition of the 30 grit paper, the coal load was now too high and projecting above the wagon sides, so I then cut a couple of mm all around off the bottom of the load sides.

Picture 2 – The grit paper was then glued to the top of the load. The grit had a tendency to fall off from the edges when the paper was cut, and I reattached a lot with PVA. Watercolours were then used around the edges to touch up/

I also painted the inside edges of the body at this stage as well.

Picture 3 – The body assembled around the load.

Picture 4 – Next step is to cut out the Axlebox Assembly….

Picture 5 – ...followed by the Wheel Assembly.

Picture 6 – After scoring the parts, the sides on both these parts have to be bent up at right angles, as shown in this picture.

Picture 7 – For both of these parts, I then strengthened the sides by brushing on a little superglue using a brush-on superglue. Here a picture of the glue just to prove this stuff does exist! it takes a while to set; it also lasts forever if kept in the fridge.

Picture 8 - The Wheel Assembly and Axlebox now ready to be attached.

Time for a break!
Attached Thumbnails
L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly3.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly4.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly5.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly6.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly7.jpg  

L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly8.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-super-glue.jpg   L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.-ly9.jpg