View Single Post

Old 02-24-2019, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
This car was manufactured during WW2 by Ford.
Although its part of a larger production involving Chevrolet and Morris, and a slew of other vehicle types.
I assume its the same Ford company that exists today and I don't think they would argue that point.
And even if the car design itself isn't a copyrighted thing, the name "Ford" is.

In the context of a historical vehicle, I think the use of the manufacturer's name is justified and necessary to classify the vehicle.
As long as we don't get carried away with using the Ford name to promote the model, why should they care?

Rolls Royce is one company that has always been protective of its logo and name.
Too protective in fact, because they have missed out on many opportunities for free advertising and promotion.

The new FAB 1 (Lady Penelope's car) is a good example.
Both the movie version from a few years back, and the new TV series (Thunderbirds Are Go) version....
both no longer carry RR badges because of licensing issues.
If you ask me, Rolls Royce really dropped the ball by not demanding that FAB 1 still be a Rolls!

I'd say you are right...with all scale models out there...if you looked hard enough, you'd find something in every model that had a copyright connection.
The national Insignias on aircrcaft for example, are all copyrighted symbols.
US Air Force, RCAF, RAF...all market their own merchandise using their logos.

And yet, they seem to tolerate the use of insignia on scale models.
Well, USAF does.

Or maybe they can't be bothered to fight about it, since it doesn't affect them much.
Model sales are pretty small stuff, so theres not a lot of profit to fight over.
And its often good honest promotion.

Maybe thats what it comes down to?
In many cases, it can be free advertising and good promotion.

Except when there are individuals and companies paying for copyrights and licensing options,
Then, those have to be protected.
Thats why Disney is so aggressive...they sell the rights to millions of companies every year to produce Disney related merchandise.
So, they try to protect those investors.
On their behalf, they stop anyone else from using the Disney name and images no matter what.