View Single Post

Old 03-02-2019, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
So, heres the thing...

I'm plugging away at this project...I have finally put the body aside, to work on the chassis.

I am actually going to test build the Frame and the beginnings of the suspension parts.
Printed out a sheet today...probably build tomorrow while watching Las Vegas Nascar.
I'll report on that when I have something to show.

-----------------------
Thing is...the entire vehicle chassis frame is only about 175mm long.
And once assembled, with all cross members in place, its only about 42mm wide.

The space between the frame rails is only 30mm...
and in there sits three axles/differentials, drive shafts, engine, transmission, exhaust, etc

Even at 1/24 scale, these are going to be small assemblies with even smaller parts!
I've been trying to detail things rather than resorting to some boxed, over stylized chassis thing.
But I've already over-designed everything and may need to simplify things a lot
because I think its all going to be too small and too difficult to build (based on the beginner/intermediate standard I am trying to achieve).

I really want to build at 1/16 scale...lol...not only to match my Saladin and Centurion models
but to make some of these parts easier to build and put together.

But, I have two problems stopping me from changing back to 1/16 scale.
First...the sheer size of the model.
Granted, the Quad is a small vehicle...the final model will be shorter than my Saladin kit.
About 270mm bumper to bumper (11")...the Saladin is 14" long (355mm)

But if I decide to do the Limber (Ammunition Wagon) and 25 Pdr (Gun trailer),
which everyone is asking about,
the final model will be more than 3 feet long!!
(almost a metre! if you straight line the three parts).

No, I still have no plan to do an interior.
An interior calls for clear windows, which means you have to cut holes in parts that will end up having very thin edges, no way to glue tab them together, and too flimsy to handle.
It also brings up the question of opening doors
The real vehicle doesn't have enough structure to properly design and build it at this scale.
I don't want to end up with thick framed panels and walls that don't match the original vehicle, and extra frames around the windows and door holes..
Theres no point in creating an interior that doesn't even look like the real thing.

I do have an idea ...an optional thing...for those who want to add clear windows,
and the larger scale will help me make it work.
But thats something I'll think about later.

The issue pertaining to scale size is: will it be too big?
Sure, by itself, the Tractor is acceptable at under 1 foot long.
But if everyone (interested in this kit) wants the Limber and 25Pdr, will they be turned off by its larger dimensions?

Thats my question before I continue to dumb down the design to suit the smaller 1/24 scale.