View Single Post

Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Don, you can always be counted in for great info! Thanks!

Apparently the Worthpoint listing used Charles Province as their information source.

Quote:
The following might be of interest for the collector :
Charles M. Province, Founder of the Rigby Paper Model Club
gives the following statement on his Rigby Homepage:

"The Truth About Those Wheaties Planes"
"I'm always searching for new information about Wallis Rigby. Sometimes discovering the truth is a great disappointment.
That is the case with the "Wheaties" planes. In an unfortunate turn of events, I recently came across some disturbing news concerning the "Wheaties Airplanes"
that were sold by General Mills during the World War II years.

The problem is that, quite simply stated, Mr. Rigby never designed them.
It makes me wonder how the "assumption" came about that Wallis Rigby did design them.
For decades I have sincerely believed, as have many others, that the Wheaties Planes were just another version
of Rigby's many and varied designs.

The real designer of the Wheaties Planes was Fred D. Myers. He created them specifically for the General Mills Company.
Other than these planes, however, I can find nothing more about Mr. Myers. He is a mystery man.
Now, I suppose, I'll have to start researching to find further information about him. Perhaps he deserves a website of his own.
Anyway, the truth is out and Rigby fans will simply have to accept it.
Because the original patent for the Wheaties Planes has long since elapsed, I will continue to offer them on this website as a tribute to Mr. Myers who has,
for decades, failed to receive the proper credit for his invention."
I do know that Charles is or has been a member of this forum. I would love to know what his information source was. The Rigby Paper Model Club website has been gone for awhile now.

Curt

Last edited by ashevilleangler; 04-02-2019 at 08:27 AM.