View Single Post

Old 04-03-2019, 02:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Main landing gear - 2

Thank you Sergio, I agree, sometimes using simple tools (and this hobby has everything in it to keep it simple) is all that it takes.

Forgot to include a few pictures of preparing the wheels last time, to start with.

Positioning the struts and wheels is a bit of a challenge. I made some kind of a yoke to help positioning the wheels in the right orientation. Although the Orlik instructions do not mention such, the struts have to be placed vertically if you look from the front or rear side, but from the side view they need to be positioned with a 3 degrees forward angle. And as it appeared, that's exactly against the rim of the wheel bays, which made it easy to fixate the struts properly. With a bit of glue in between, it resulted in a more stable assembly.

Then the remaining cross struts, which remarkably add up to the overall stability of the landing gear, as well as the covers, which form a link between strut and wing. I added a few more details myself after studying actual landing gear pictures and inspired by the more detailed landing gear of the Kartonowa Kolekcjia Hurricane.

Also here, the paper to be rolled into a strut needs to be delaminated for a good end result. I do not really understand why these parts were not printed on the same thinner paper on which the other internal parts have been printed in the first place. Saves a bit of fiddling.

Looking back on the construction of the landing gear, I was somewhat apprehensive at first, expecting a real challenge, but eventually it wasn't such a difficult job. Voila, the model stands on its own feet!

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_e9772.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_e9774.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9780.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9783.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9784.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9785.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9787.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9788.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9792.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_e9775.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9793.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9794.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9795.jpg