View Single Post

Old 05-02-2019, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
The BFBS stations had me scratching my head. Knowing exactly where they broadcast from (I helped build and maintain some of them) I just couldn't find any of them by clicking on dots. Yet once Kevin had pointed out the search facility I found several listed and was able to select them OK. Surprised to find Gibraltar and Germany no longer seem to be active. Have the Brit Forces moved out of them completely?

However, if I move away from the dot, then come back to it, the BFBS transmitters are not listed. I have to go through the search facility every time in order to tune into them. I wonder if this is because they are mostly low power short range transmissions?

I do remember living in Roermond, just across the border from RAF Bruggen ... well within range, but denied the BFBS radio and TV broadcasts because the transmission antennae were all aimed into Germany, not into Holland, where 70% of the Bruggen staff lived.

As Dave says though, it's great fun listening in to what the world's remotest places are broadcasting, and surprising how much of it is familiar to our ears.