View Single Post

Old 05-31-2019, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
Excellent tip. Doing that entails several layers of data conversion: from PDF to Foxit's internal data structures to Foxit's version of PDF to Inkscape's internal data structure (which was designed to perfectly handle SVG, not PDF); the end result could avoid the original bug - perhaps just by being simpler, thus avoiding some subtlety in the PDF standard not correctly handled either by Inkscape or the PDF creator.

However, data loss is possible, for instance in colorspace conversion, and transforming gradients and masks from vector to raster. Although the file is visually ok, this could limit the range of editing which prompted the use of Inkscape in first place.
Of course, you are absolutely right. Something is bound to suffer on the way. However, I don't have a problem with accepting a somewhat degraded image when the alternative is to have no useful image at all to edit.

Colour consistency is certainly a problem. Nowadays I very rarely print directly from the original PDF file, but go through the same sequence for the original pages as I will for any subsequent editing, so the colours will be consistent, if not exactly what the designer intended. Of course, my printer and the paper I use will be different from his/hers, so there will never be an exact match anyway.

Alan