View Single Post

Old 06-02-2019, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
British B-class submarine

Hello there.

Recently i've got into some "submarine" mood and decided to try to build one. I never tried to build vessels or anything water-related (some boxy ships that i used to make in childhood doesn't count), so i decided to try my hand on something rather primitive; looking through files on my hard drive, i found a good subject for this; british pre-WWI submarine.
You can find some info about this class here:

1903 - 1906: B Class

and here:

Chapter 3: The Spindle Hull Types - Holland, A, B and C Classes

plans that i'm using are also from this website. In the end, i must get something that looks like this:

Like i do with all my models, i'm not going to make a model of some certain prototype, it will be some "generic" submarine of this class, to represent how they're looked in general. Scale is 1:72.

I started just recently, here in attachments photos of rough test build of nose part (it's probably the most difficult part of the hull). In general i'm satisfied with how it looks, though i think there should be some correction of shape of torpedo tubes covers; also, number of petals of butt end part probably may be reduced.

I have a question, what coloring scheme was standard for british submarines of pre WWI/WWi era? Photos shows that they're obviously were painted in some relatively light colors; some images offer gray/light gray coloring scheme with white waterline; is this a correct colours?
Attached Thumbnails
British B-class submarine-img_20190602_193431.jpg   British B-class submarine-img_20190602_193410.jpg   British B-class submarine-img_20190602_202340.jpg   British B-class submarine-img_20190602_202358.jpg   British B-class submarine-img_20190602_202515.jpg  

British B-class submarine-img_20190602_202544.jpg