View Single Post

Old 06-16-2019, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

but this is just one side of the ET/Orbiter Interface.

But the other side on the Shuttle has to fit too. And therewith it looks pretty poor on the Airfix Kit,

because the two Orbiter doors are not present, let alone their deepenings in the opened state, just like one needs it for the Stack (ET/Orbiter).

Source: NASA

The least would therefore be a solution in which one could glue a Decal or a paper printout of the two doors in the opened state onto the appropriate place, which would look a bit better, namely something like here.

It would be even still better, of course, if the two deepenings were really brought in, however, and then glue the Umbilical decals into, or simply the printout, and the two doors in between, what I could imagine.

This is what my friend Mike (egt95) did in the ARC forum on his STS-1 stack.

Source: arcforums.com (egt95)

But since this place at the finished stack on the MLP can not be seen anyway, glued decals/printouts without the openings, but with glued doors would actually suffice.

In the meantime I started with the modification of the Airfix-Longerons, which protrude anyway and do not rest on flat. These are these stripes on both sides at the end of the LH2 Tank, on which the oblique Thrust Struts and the Vertical Struts are mounted, because these parts do not look like in reality, as one could see already on this well-known photo of the ET-8.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

For me, it seems, that the SOFI patterns has been leveled in this area, with only the front wedge-shaped part is supporting the oblique strut.

And this I have modified by sanding off the Kit-Longerons accordingly, whereby now the front slant ramp must be filled accordingly.

And here I have tried to adapt the TPS cladding from the Newware Kit, for which I had to sand off approx. half of the lower block of the Airfix-Strut, however, whereby the lower part of the Resin-cladding seems too clunky to me, which is why it still has to slim down a bit.

But every beginning is difficult, just do not panic ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)