View Single Post

Old 06-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Discontinue the POTW?

It’s never been my goal to divide our fellowship into separate camps, but maybe it’s time we risk discussing a few ideas regarding the look of our favorite website. Maybe it’s time to discontinue the Picture of the Week.

Please understand that I have a genuine affection for the POTW, as the first paper model I ever posted on this site was chosen POTW on January 31st, 2016. It was a big surprise to wake up that morning and see my kitbashed, 100 year old Epinal submarine pictured at the top of the Home Page. It was there for 11 days until it was replaced by kjev’s powerful Greeblified Jotun. Sic transit, etc.

I looked forward each week, or so, to see what other paper modelers had built that had earned this gratifying acknowledgement. And in looking over past POTWs, it’s evident we are a creative bunch. Former POTWs have included Hellboy, a Mack Bulldog, a BF 109E Instrument Panel and even a Sushi Platter. And I’m sure that each modeler who had his or her model chosen as POTW was just as surprised and delighted as I was upon receiving the same honor.

But, things have changed. It has been over 7 months since Thales’ excellent 1/144 IXS Enterprise became lost in space on the Home Page of papermodelers.com

Believe me, I’m not casting any blame or pointing any fingers. People get busy meeting their many commitments and sometimes things fall by the wayside. And to those who might say as long as I’m bringing up this topic, maybe I should volunteer to select the POTW, well, thanks, but no. I judged a middle school writing contest once, and my judging days are over. It’s a difficult thing to do properly, and the rewards are few. This may be why no one else has stepped forward to take on the demanding and surprisingly time consuming task of choosing the POTW.

There’s an old axiom that states you should never point out a problem without offering a solution. My suggestion is that a new, distinctive logo for papermodelers.com might permanently replace the Picture of the Week. We have a talented membership here, and if the chance to design a new logo were opened up to our members, we might be surprised at the results.

I’m sure that once this conversation gets started, we’ll hear a number of other ideas on this topic. As always in this forum, all ideas are welcome.

One point in favor of a fresh logo is that a new, permanent image at the top of the Home Page would certainly take up less space than the POTW. And, the change would put paid to the lingering frustration of seeing the long abandoned Picture of the Week staring back at us every time we log in. It looks careless. And judging by the remarkable work that is consistently displayed throughout the pages of this website, careless is not how we roll.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog