View Single Post

Old 07-09-2019, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Samurai Armor and Storage Box- An ancient error of spatial orientation.

I discovered a 100 year old design error that probably resulted in frustrated boys who had tried to make the paper model, and peeved parents because they had spent a couple of mon on a flawed product and now had to deal with a cranky kid.
The designer got the orientation of one of the armored sleeves wrong. You will see what I mean if you try to assemble the model.
The modern paper modeler has a quick fix: print two copies of the model, and use the sleeve part with the correct orientation twice, or better yet, print the model, then flip the page 180 degrees and print it again to correct the designer's mistake.
Once this error is corrected, the samurai armor is an interesting build, that demonstrates the differences from and similarities with contemporary French and German lithographed paper models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
Rick was kind enough to put a model I submitted into the Dolls and Figurines section of "Downloads".
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/v...p?categoryid=5
It is a a single page wood block print of a Samurai Armor, most likely intended as a Boy's Day gift or for display on Boys Day. The model includes a complete armor, and a storage box. When the armor is not inside the box, the box can be used as a display stand.
I uploaded zip file with a copy of the 150 year old woodblock print and my attempt to restore it to its original colors.
A while back I posted a link to a similar model, but that one had a missing edge so some of the parts were incomplete, the one just uploaded is complete and not bad looking considering the original is a 150 year old print on poor quality paper. I have seen another paper model of a samurai armor from about the same period, so this type of model must have been a popular item.
The paper armors must have been more affordable than some of the metal and silk lacing Boy's Day miniature armors that are currently for sale.