View Single Post

Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
thanks Mike. I used Google's Sketch up-7 to make the model, and Then I unfolded it manually to make a flat model. Then I made a piece of paper in sketch up that was 250 times bigger then a piece of paper, and arranged all of the parts on to that. Then I saved it as a 2-d export and sent it to Gimp for additional coloring and lettering. Then I opined it up in Gimp, rotated it to the direction I wanted it, then I copied only the "paper" section. Next I opened up a "new" page in Gimp using the 8.5x11 template, and pasted in the copied section as a "new image". This effectively made the scaled rectangle that started out in sketch up 250 times smaller, along with all of the parts. When printed on 8.5x11 paper the model should be 1:250 scale...I think. Then I added the lettering and saved it as a Jpeg. Finally I used Nitro PDF maker to put the model into a PDF.

All of the programs I used are free. Sketch up has a number of plugins that will work to help unfold a model, none of which I can get to work with my computer! I still have much to learn. Thanks,
CT