View Single Post

Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks Don, Sergio and Kacper.

The turret is complete, but I was so excited I glued it to the tank before taking photos of it by itself. Sorry about that. The assembly of the turret was very straight forward, with no issues to report. I did add a score where none was needed, however. You can see it in the photos, running vertically right through the center of "Ben-Hur". The Comet's gun mantlet is a flowing and complicated cast shape, and designer Michel Tichy did what he could, but it's pretty near impossible to pull off convincingly in paper in such a small scale. I tried to help it along with some painted-in highlights and shadows.

The Comet's 17 pounder main gun has a very distinct rounded muzzle brake, and the R&P kit cannon was just a rolled tube with an extra ring of paper at the end. That wasn't gonna cut it. Luckily, I have a 1/25 scale M10 Achilles that I downloaded years ago from a now defunct blog. I copied the cannon parts from this kit, and resized/recolored them appropriately. I printed these new main gun parts on regular weight printer paper. The 4 piece muzzle break went together well, all edge glued. A sanded down length of paper Q-Tip shaft serves as the core of the gun, so it's plenty strong.

So, the tank itself is done, but I have a cool idea for the display base, so I'll paste final pics when the entire piece is finished.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometn.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometo.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometp.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometq.jpg   1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-cometr.jpg  

1/72 Comet I cruiser tank-comets.jpg