Thread: "birding" fun
View Single Post

Old 08-02-2019, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Redhead, Deer, and Mystery Bird

A rare bird (to us) has been visiting our back garden. Until now, I had only once seen a red-headed woodpecker and that was on the Gettysburg battlefield, but one has been visiting the platform feeder recently. It's very fidgety, so I have been unable to get a good image, but these are good enough to make a positive identification.

I cannot, however, identify a dark grey bird about the size of a red-bellied woodpecker with woodpecker-like dorsal markings that has been visiting. I would be glad if any of you can help me out.

White tailed deer are abundant in Pennsylvania, and this pair have been helping us out by eating stray apples that litter the ground. Not as exotic as the critters that Wayne and Kevin routinely see, but we enjoy having them around.

I enjoyed the owl images. We hear owls every evening in the woods behind our house, but I have only had one sighting - a great horned owl that was perched in a tree near the Conodoguinet Creek and took flight, passing over my head as I was walking. No camera and would not have been able to get a shot anyway - the action was too fast.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-red-headed_woodpecker_and_mourning_dove_back_garden_190716.jpg   "birding" fun-red-headed_woodpecker_back_garden_190716.jpg   "birding" fun-bird_sp-unk_and_common_grackle_back_garden_190724.jpg   "birding" fun-whitetail_deer_back_garden_190720.jpg   "birding" fun-whitetail_deer_back_garden_190720a.jpg