Thread: Battery backup
View Single Post

Old 08-06-2019, 03:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
I use an APC 1500VA for my rig, runs my monitors & the box. A major consideration for me beyond the ~30 minutes of power (or less for heavy tasks like encoding or games) is the sine wave cleaning feature.
Most electricity supplies are 'dirty' & this cleans the power being sent to the PC.
Apparently more than 90% of home electronics failures are down to dirty electricity which is caused by things like generators, badly maintained infrastructure & external forces.
With the micro-voltages involved in microprocessors it's nice to be sure the PSU & the mobo are getting stable solid power.
If you have a generator this feature is especially important & might save you hours of random unfathomable errors, data corruption & lockups.

TBH when I first got this I was surprised how many times this has shown me drop-outs in current strength on my powerline & that it is then supplementing with the battery to retain stability.
These units are not cheap but they're important & seem to pay for themselves esp if you spend a lot of money on hardware or if you have really important data.