Thread: "birding" fun
View Single Post

Old 08-13-2019, 03:13 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Glen - that is actually an excellent picture! Well done...

My suggestion is to crop it slightly and adjust the contrast so that you blacken it up. This is the opposite of adjusting it to lighten up - which you will not be able to do too successfully. Glen PM me your e-mail and I will show you what I mean.

I see you took it @ 1/2000 - does the camera go faster?

---------------------------

I have tried to take a few shots, but not a lot of luck

Getting a decent shot of a bird in flight is hard work! You are going to take stacks before you get a decent shot and the camera is never to hand when you want it!

You are using the "TV" setting. Put the shutter speed on max if it not already. Then look at the camera settings markings on the body and see if there is one like 3 sheets of paper. This is for continuous shooting. There are often two options - Continuous and Continuous with Autofocus. Try both on a road (freeway) with cars going doing down it. A short press of the finger will just take one shot in these modes.

My suggestion is to start with the Continuous. Then dial the camera back to the setting you normally use for other pics. When you see a bird in flight (or a plane) dial to TV and you are all set.

The tendency is too often to over zoom. Zoom back a little.

The other trick is to keep both eyes open - if the bird is small you will soon find you can track with your left eye so as to be able to bring the camera viewfinder onto the bird. And use the viewfinder - not the screen, when tracking birds.

Lastly, create the opportunities for the bird in flight pictures. Look and see where birds are flying, then set up and sit tight and wait. That's what I did with a shot of the geese above - I noticed when they took off they took a specific route each time. So I parked off and waited. That shot was the only decent one out of many I took!