View Single Post

Old 08-17-2019, 03:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
IJN Akizuki 1944 [Answer 1:200]

So without wrapping up the previous build, I am starting another ship.

Link to my ongoing Fuyuzuki build here
IJN Fuyuzuki [Modelik 1:200]

Akizuki was the lead ship of the Akizuki class. Built just in time for the start of the Pacific War, this class is quite large for a destroyer and often mistaken as a cruiser. The reason is their heavy anti-aircraft suite that is comprised of 8 100mm AA guns in 4 turrets. A quad torpedo launcher and depth charges were mounted to allow the ship to perform the more 'conventional' destroyer duties. Akizuki's AAMG suite, like almost all ships in the Japanese navy, skyrocketed as the war progressed. Akizuki, the first to be launched, was built without radar, but received them as they became available.

Akizuki's participated in some of the major battles in the Pacific, which ended with her loss during the battle of Cape Engano in October 1944, most likely due to an explosion of onboard torpedo (that was captured by photo) that broke the ship in two.

I am starting this build as I move along with the Fuyuzuki. As I have mentioned elsewhere, these are, basically, the same kit, minus the minor differences in configuration. This also means almost all (perhaps 95 percent) laser accessories carry over from Fuyuzuki.

The kit by Answer depicts the ship in 1942, however I do intend to build the 1944 configuration. I think the most notable differences are the main mast and the addition of a pair of AA platforms to the sides of the funnel, both of which should be easy to modify. Japan also stopped painting ship names on the side of their ships by 1944, so that has to be modified too.

The reason I left the unfinished Fuyuzuki to start on this is more due to a necessity: I agreed to do a set of custom laser frames for Fuyuzuki/Akizuki for a friend, who will be starting the build soon. I would have preferred to build the hull myself to check everything is good to go, before mailing him the frames. It was a new construction method to myself too, so I need to be confident that it works. From now on the two ships will be built in tandem.

Pictures to follow soon.